Monday, January 19, 2009

"New" Cabinet

I am finally done with my cabinet overhaul (well, minus one handle).  If you don't already know I like old/antique/vintage/worn/junk/whatever-you-want to call it "stuff."  Aside from electronics and things like beds or couches that you actually sleep on, I'm not much into sets or store bought things.  So.... fortunately for me I have my own "hunter" in my Aunt Nancy.  Her house is full (to put it mildly) so she is always looking out for potential Dedra stuff.
This old cabinet was my (and Adam's) birthday present from Nancy.  It was covered in thick, white, shiny, enamel (lead??) paint and had "chemical storage" written on it in black marker. Doesn't look too bad, but not something I'm dying to have in my house.
You can't really tell, but this is after some serious sanding.  Don't worry, it wasn't by hand--we have a sander.  
Next, the color--PINK!  Sounds weird, but you'll see.
The doors, painted, then distressed.
The final product (like I said, minus one handle).  I did not think new hardware (in keeping with the original style, where you can see it) would be so hard to find.  Now, everything mounts from the inside or is flat.  I ended up getting the hinges and handles from a little wood shop--something he had taken off a set of doors in the 50's.  The guy was so nice and gave me all of the stuff for $1.  I had to paint it all, but I think it turned out well.  The reason the other handle is not on is because we cannot find a second screw like we had for the other one.  I'm waiting for Adam to give in and try Home Depot again :)
Now I even have a little extra room to put out some of my favorite Christmas gifts like these balls from Quint and Susan.
And, this little tag thing from Sharla.  I'd show you the inside, but I forgot to take a picture of it and am too lazy to go do it now.  

3 comments:

Sharla said...

Cool! Where do you have it in your house? I've been sanding the edges of the white cabinets we have the electronic and boy's books in by our fireplace.

The McGuffin's said...

I am very impressed, it looks great!

Braxmeyers said...

It's in our bedroom. I have baskets in it that hold all my underwear--really, a whole cupboard of just underwear. JK--socks, work out clothes, etc